There is always a need to do some lifestyle changes when things affect your mood. Worrying about things not only give you stress and depression but also prevent you from
enjoying other ones. And affect your work and life. Mental health is always important for a happy life. More you change your lifestyle to ensure a lively mind and body, the more you’ll be able to cope with the challenges. Below are 5 lifestyle changes to ease your mind and mood that can be applied for a better life.
1. Practice relaxation techniques
This is one of the best lifestyle changes you can go for. There are some methods which you can include in your day to day life to combat stress and lighten up your mood.
Some of the things are:
- Listening to music.
- Practising the hobby you like.
- Reading a good book.
Moreover, try to do the work you like. It could be a sport or any hobby. Just do it and you will see the changes in your mood.
2. Healthy eating
Eating healthy is great for your body and will help your mood overall. The easiest way to boost your diet is to neglect junk food. Avoid foods that are high in sugars and consist of
saturated fats. Include healthy foods in your diet like:
- Complex carbohydrates, amino acids, and fatty acids.
- Fish, olive oil, fruits and veggies, nuts are good fatty acids.
- Include meat and other dairy products which are rich in amino acids. Neurotransmitters, the messengers in the brain, are made of amino acids.
- Whole grains, legumes, oranges, spinach, broccoli are complex carbohydrates which help in the production of serotonin(a feel-good neurotransmitter).
3. Active lifestyle
A lifestyle change can’t begin without changing your lazy schedule. Try to be active which will help you to improve your mental health through physical activity. Exercise increases your body’s production of natural antidepressants. According to research, exercising for 30 minutes a day, three to six days a week can help decrease
depression without the use of medication.
It can help in:
- Boosting your confidence
- Reducing the stress levels
- Helping to get good sleep
- Toning your body
- Improving your mood
Mediation is a proven way to alter your mood swings. It includes reciting mantras with deep breathing exercises. It heals you both physically as well as mentally. Meditation can relieve anxiety and depression.
5. Social Support
There are times when we feel low. So at that time avoid being alone. Try to reach out when you need help. Reaching out to friends and family can actually help us to deal with anxiety
by offering support and helping us.
- Try to build a strong relationship and good friends network. A network that can help you at the time you need them the most and could reduce
- Keep regular contact with your family and friends.
- You can consider joining a class or counselling group. It can surely be beneficial. A counsellor can really help you a lot.
- Sometimes being with the pet also elevates your mood.
- Try to move out and meet new people. Help the needy ones and feel the satisfaction. Sometimes being with strangers can really light up the mood.
Lifestyle Changes are simple but powerful tools in treating depression and anxiety, and they are an essential component of an integrated approach to treatment. These simple lifestyle changes could be helpful to combat mood swings.
2 thoughts on “5 lifestyle changes to ease your mind and mood”