Insomnia or sleeplessness is a sleeping disorder in which you are unable to sleep even after being tired or feeling sleepy. It is a condition that makes you frequently wake up and you may also find it difficult going back to sleep. It can also lead to a decrease in your energy levels when you wake up. Although causes of insomnia in males are lesser as compared to females. Insomnia can vary in different people and there are also certain types of insomnia. So let us know about its types, insomnia causes, symptoms, and treatments.
Types of insomnia:
1. Acute insomnia:
Acute insomnia is a type of insomnia which is very common and can last for a very short period of time like for days to weeks. The acute insomnia causes are mostly due to:
- Any stressful event like the death of a family member or any loved one.
- Any noise that disturbs your sleep.
- Stress or anxiety about a new job or from thinking about a career.
- Any discomfort you face while sleeping like sleeping in a new bed or in a new place.
- Any physical discomfort because of any illness or pain.
2. Chronic insomnia:
Chronic insomnia is another type of insomnia in which you can have trouble sleeping at least 3 days per week for at least one month. This chronic insomnia has two types, primary and secondary. Primary insomnia is similar to acute insomnia. Secondary insomnia is chronic and occurs in certain conditions.
Chronic insomnia causes are mostly due to:
- Poor sleep cycle like sleeping late, or taking a nap at the wrong time
- Stress and anxiety due to some work.
- Drinking caffeine and alcohol.
- Chronic medical conditions.
- Mental health condition.
- Can also happen due to severe medication.
Symptoms of insomnia:
The most common symptoms of insomnia causes are:
- If you are having difficulty sleeping even though you are very tired and feel sleepy.
- Frequently waking up at night, and having difficulty in falling back to sleep.
- In the daytime, you feel tired and sleepy.
- You feel like you don’t have any energy to do any work.
- A feeling of restlessness and irritation makes you very annoyed.
- There is a lack of concentration and focus.
- Feeling of depression and anxiety.
It is very common that insomnia cause is mostly seen in older people. This happens because of lack of physical activity as they get tired very early due to old age, this infers them to sleep early and certainly they wake up early in the morning. Also, any noise or some chronic pain can keep them awake finding difficulty in sleeping.
Causes of insomnia in males:
A study has found that as compared to the causes of insomnia in males, most females suffer from this disorder. In females, stress and depression are very common during their pre-menstrual phase or menopausal phase leading to insomnia cause. However, men mostly in their old age can suffer from insomnia and the causes of insomnia in males are mostly due to stress because of lack of proper sleep due to some pain or illness or not getting a proper environment for sleep.
Insomnia Prevention and treatment:
Treating insomnia in the acute stage can be easier than treating it in the chronic stage. Insomnia treatment includes cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. It is the first-line treatment where your doctor will point out the causes and replace it with positive thoughts and ideas.
Other than this there are numerous other prevention and treatments for treating insomnia:
- Avoid taking unnecessary naps:
Taking naps can lead to a lack of sleep during the night. It’s better to avoid unnecessary naps and limit them as required.
- If there is some pain, treat it before going to bed:
Any person when suffering from any pain like leg pain or back pain tends to get severe at night, causing lack of sleep. Mostly in older people, this is very common. To prevent insomnia it is better to take proper care.
- Listening to some relaxing music before sleep:
Listening to some soft music before bed can infer a good sound sleep and it relaxes your mind and also calms down the heartbeat.
- Going for a good diet and a good routine with some exercises:
‘Early to bed and early to rise’ along with proper nutritional diet and also involving yourself in some physical exercise will help you go to bed with satisfaction ultimately letting you sleep properly.
- Avoid taking any beverages like caffeine or alcohol at least 2 to 3 hours before going to bed:
The presence of caffeine or alcohol in your blood can cause you to stay awake for more hours so you should always avoid taking any of these before or if you are a patient you should avoid taking.
- Maintaining a good sleep cycle:
If you are able to maintain a proper time schedule of sleeping and waking up regularly it will be very helpful for you to deal with insomnia. It is the best possible way to prevent insomnia cause.
Medications for the treatment of insomnia:
This should be probably the last resort if nothing works. Although there are certain medicines that can really help you in dealing with insomnia. The medicines like Benzodipines and non- Benzodipines can treat insomnia however you should never take any medication without consulting your doctor.
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that has some very common causes and can be treated permanently only if you stick to a proper routine. Yes, a poor lifestyle is one of the main causes, that leads to stress, depression, and illness-causing lack of sleeping certainly leading to insomnia. And it’s always better to go for prevention rather than medications.
How do I fix insomnia?
Fixing insomnia is possible when you follow a good routine and take care of your sleep quality. A poor lifestyle can lead to stress and anxiety causing illness, and also can give you a restless night leading to insomnia.
What causes female insomnia?
Female faces a lot of stress in her life, and mostly during the time of premenstrual and postmenopausal period. The stress and depression in
females during these times can infer a lack of sleep leading to insomnia.