Winters are here, and during this season we crave hot things filling our appetite. What could be better than a warm glass of turmeric or saffron or simply a glass of milk before going to the bed! Seems calming and soothing right! We know milk is a complete food. It is said that it fills …
benefits of drinking milk at night
benefits of drinking milk at night: Winters are here, and during this season we crave hot things filling our appetite. What could be better than a warm glass of turmeric or saffron or simply a glass of milk before going to the bed! Seems calming and soothing right!
We know milk is a complete food. It is said that it fills the stomach very easily. Consuming a glass of milk is equal to consuming one meal. It
is a food that is rich in all nutrients like vitamins, proteins, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and amino acids.
Since childhood, our parents made it a habit of sending us to school after drinking a glass of milk. They used to claim that it will make us tall
and strong. And we found ourselves energetic for the whole day, right! Such are the qualities which separate it from all the other foods in the world. There are no specific timings for consuming this dietary rich food. It can be drunk anytime in a day. But drinking it after sunset or usually after dinner has several health benefits.
An infant gets the habit of drinking milk at night from the time he starts drinking his mother’s milk during the nights. So our body kind of get accustomed to it.
According to Ayurveda :
- If a person drinks milk at night before going to bed then his pulse slows down.
- Due to the slowing down of pulses, a person experiences sleepiness and sleeps calmly.
- He gets a good quality of sleep and wakes up with activeness.
- Drinking a glass of warm milk at night relaxes the mind and body.
- Also relieves anxiety and stress levels facilitating in good quality of sleep.
- It helps people to sleep faster. It also helps in completing a good cycle of sleep without any mid-wake-ups.
Why consume milk at night?
Although milk can be consumed anytime in a day, to get more of its nutrients it must be consumed after sunset.
- It is believed that our body contains certain enzymes that become active during the evening time.
- It has protein which constitutes.
80% Casein and 20% Whey
(The casein is a slow digestive protein that is generally digested at night time.)
- Moreover, it is rich in amino acids called tryptophan which induces sleep.
- Tryptophan gets converted into serotonin( a feel-good hormone).
- This Serotonin increases the amount of melatonin in your body which is responsible for good sleep.
- Studies say that food rich in calcium for example Milk lowers the cortisol levels in the body. (A cortisol is a stress hormone which is associated with anxiety).
So these all are the benefits of drinking milk at night. At night it helps a person to sleep calmly without mid-wake-ups. It also lowers anxiety and stress levels. Further, you will even not have to binge on the things. Milk won’t let
you do that. Moreover drinking milk at night helps in more calorie burn. A night of better sleep means more calorie burn.