Sometimes, you worry about getting up and facing the world. Discouragement takes over and you end up feeling lonely. But if this “sometimes” occurs often, then you are in trouble, my friend. Depression is waiting at your doorstep. It’s high time you find a solution as soon as possible. Yoga is the best solution to end depression naturally. In this article, you will get to know about how to do yoga when you are depressed.
Depression and Yoga the stress Reduction
Depression is a disease that strikes the brain. It might happen due to anxiety, continuous sadness, someone’s sudden demise, or rejection. Yoga gives us the Super Power to brighten up your mood and throws depression away. Yoga poses helps to relieve anxiety as it increases blood circulation and promotes the production of mood-brightening hormones.
How Yoga Sessions work when you are depressed?
Dr. Manson Turner a well-known yoga therapist of the Kaiser Permanente Medical group said, “Even if yoga is not your cup of tea, the pair of physical movement and meditation can relieve depression.” Meditation allows a person to live in present and brings a peaceful mind. According to a scientific study, breathing exercises help in cutting depression. Yoga also strengthens the body movements and mind connection.
Why do yoga when feeling depressed?
- Yoga improves mood and relaxes the mind: Meditation increases Serotonin (anti depressing hormone) production. As per the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, the production of serotonin plays a vital role in treating depression.
- To reduce stress and anxiety: Yoga increases HRV( heart rate variability) that helps in better self-adapting and monitoring activities, particularly depression.
- Happiness hormones: Dopamine, oxytocin, endorphins, and serotonin are the happiness hormones of our body. Yes, you read it right, “happiness hormones” as they bring happiness and gives a better well being.
- GABA: Gamma-aminobutyric acid is a chemical messenger of the brain. Researchers found that yoga boosts the GABA levels by 26% which is fruitful for our body. GABA controls the level of excitement, nervousness, fear, and anxiety that you feel.
Styles of Yoga
We are familiar with a few sitting and standing yoga poses or some when you need to bend. But in today’s world, everything is getting faster and better. Here are certain styles of yoga to relieve anxiety and depression. Talk to your instructor about these before joining any institute and adopt the ones that suit you the best.
5 Proven Yoga Poses For Stress Reduction/Depression:
- Sethu Bandhasana – Bridge
- Balasana- Child pose
- Adho Mukha Svanasana- Dog pose (downward facing)
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana- Dog pose (upward-facing)
- Savasana- Corpse
Sethu Bandhasana – Bridge
Sethu Bandhasana reduces back pain makes back muscles strong. This yoga pose opens the heart, relaxes the body, and gives a soothing effect to reduce depression, anxiety, and stress. To do this pose:
- Lie on your back
- Put arms on either side facing downwards
- Folding your knees take your legs up
- Make sure your knees and ankle are slightly apart.
- Now lift your back and hold for a few seconds.
Balasana- Child pose
This pose helps in calming the mind and reduces anxiety and stress. It stretches the lower back and brings peace and calmness to the body. To do this pose:
- Kneel and sit on heels
- Bend the upper body forward between thighs
- Touch your face on the ground
- Bring both arms forward and place them down.
Adho Mukha Svanasana- Dog pose (downward facing)
It helps in increasing the flow of fresh blood in the body. The neck is stretched and the cervical spine releases the tension. Thereby decreasing the depressed mood. To do this pose:
- Use legs and hands to form a table
- Keep elbow and knees straight
- Push hip upwards
- Inverted V-shaped should achieve
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana- Dog pose (upward-facing)
This pose gives a rejuvenating effect on the body and cures depression and fatigue. It focuses on strengthening the upper body. To do this pose:
- Lie on the floor facing downwards
- Toes a few inches apart and in a downward direction
- Palms near chest and close to the ribs
- Lift the upper body and it should be straight
- Head upward-facing and position is achieved
Keep this as your last yoga pose. As it relaxes the whole body and lowers the blood pressure caused by earlier posts. To achieve this pose:
- Lie down on your back
- Feet sideways and few inches apart
- Close your eyes and relax
- Live in the moment with deep breaths
Yoga comprises mainly a list of poses with stretches and movements. It has an immense benefit to mankind. Brain and depression can be at ease with several poses as discussed above, mainly the breathing ones. Yoga opens up the mind. It not only cures depression but also increases our catching power and memory. Adopt yoga and it adopts you with happiness.